Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Wednesday: Anderson Junction Cemetery

Anderson Junction Cemetery
I'm going to try to post something on Washington County Utah each Wednesday. Today I want to let you know about the Anderson Junction Cemetery.

A couple of years ago I was lucky enough to be in St. George on Memorial Day and get to go to the cemetery. In Utah we take Memorial/Decoration Day seriously and make sure that our graves are decorated and our veterans honored. While I was there I ran into an old friend and her mother. They mentioned that they still needed to go to their family cemetery. I knew her mother was an Anderson and later realized they were talking about a cemetery at Anderson Junction which is north of Leeds. I don't have a cemetery listed at Anderson Junction on my USGenWeb Washington County cemetery page so my husband and I went looking for it the next time we were in Utah. We didn't find it that day but ran into my friend's mother at the library and she told us where it was so in April 2011 we got these pictures of that sweet little cemetery. I actually took a GPS reading but can't find it right now. So to see it - take the Toquerville turnoff on I-15; don't turn into Anderson Junction but head toward Toquerville and at the edge of the first field look north across the field against the hill and there it is under an old cedar/juniper tree.

My husband walked across the field and took some pictures...
Getting closer
There is a nice fence around the graves


Here are the three headstones in the enclosure but there may be more graves.
Andrew George Anderson 1870-1901

Myrtle Anderson 22 May 1914 - 4 June 1914
Sweet baby

Dora Marie Terry 1873-1903
And as I was waiting at the car I enjoyed watching the red ants at work. I always watched them work when I was a girl, being careful not to get stung. I realized that day that I miss them up here in the rainy NW.

No comments: